Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Tender Look Which Becomes a Habit

Maggie and Olivia (and Butterfly Rattle) Wish You a Good Day.

Back in June, we got a phone call from our case worker. A prospective birth couple wanted to meet us, and we went to what I can only describe as the most intense job interview ever. We found out a few days later that they had chosen us, and that we were going to be parents to a (presumably) beautiful baby girl. Olivia's birth parents are great people that we loved getting to know.

I have a hard time describing our relationship to Olivia's birth parents, it seems so unique. We became acquainted in such an intensely personal way in a very brief time period. I think of them as closer than friends, more like family. And from the very beginning, for merely considering us as potential parents of the incredible baby they were placing for adoption, we loved them. Now that she is born, I can see we won't ever have the same sort of relationship, but I will cherish the memories that we have and I can't wait to tell Olivia one day about the beautiful path she took to us and the wonderful people that made it possible.

It's hard not to see the hand of God in a scenario like ours. Olivia is our baby, she is meant to be in our family. These truths have been testified to us over and over again in incredibly beautiful ways. We are so lucky. And Olivia is so lucky, she is loved by so many people!

5 comments:

Jennie Kunz said...

This was so tender. I'm sitting here crying because I'm so happy for you and your sweet little angel!
Keep the pictures coming.
Love you!

Shara said...

I can't wait to meet her. She is absolutely beautiful. I am so happy for you guys and that things worked out as well as they did.

Debi said...

Cass, these truths wil become even more evident as Olivia grows into an even more beautiful young women. Your lives are eternally "blessed". Thank you for sharing your story and lives.

Micah and Marilee Woolstenhulme said...

She is a sweetie! It was fun seeing you yesterday.

Joel and Sara said...

Just awesome. I miss being an adoption social worker. People like you make it the best job ever (aside from being a mom..duh).