Friday, October 5, 2007

Callie

Recently, I have been reading the ads on Craig's list for pets and today I found this ad:

To The Owner of Callie

I saw your beautiful golden retriever get hit by the car tonight. I can't stop thinking about it. I don't know who you are. But I want you to know that I am so sorry. I am so sorry I was a passive observer as another man hit your beautiful dog. I can't get her shrill howl out of my mind. I can't get your pain out of my mind. How you kept stroking her and talking to her after she was already dead. 12 long years to have such a friend. How do you tell your wife? How do you tell your children? I am so sorry. You are in my prayers. Callie will be waiting for you in heaven.



I was incredibly touched to have stumbled across this raw bit of emotion and empathy.

No comments: